Independence Day

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

We were trying to decide what to do for 4th of July when I saw Cactus Bikes was hosting a bike parade at the local park with the Grand Prize being a new bike. Carter and Ethan had got new bikes this year and Hudson was borrowing from Ethan while learning to ride. The goal became "win a bike for Hudson!" Before I knew it, Jen and I had bought bags of decorating supplies and tools from ribbons to electrical and painting tape to zip ties, dowels, streamers, flags, pinwheels, bows and garland. Corey in the meantime had designed and assembled rocket pieces to attach to 3 bikes - one for Ethan, Carter and Hudson. The boys spent 2 days painting, cutting, wrapping and taping up their bikes. The houses were a disaster zone from paint tracks all over to zip tie pieces here and there, hot glue drippings and burns. We're not sure how easy disassembling these bikes will be as they've got to have at least 20 zip ties plus holding them all together and honestly the boys want their bikes to be rockets for forever. I guess when they naturally start to fall apart, it will be time to undo our beautiful projects. Not only did the kids decorate their bikes, we decorated their helmets, made USA t-shirts and cut capes for all of them.

So, on 4th of July we got the bikes registered with #'s 10, 11 and 12. Off everyone rode. Our bikes proved to be a big hit, not only with the owners of Cactus Bikes, but with the police, fire department and general public. A photographer from the Arizona Republic was snapping up pictures which ended up both online in a slide show and in the newspaper. Cactus Bikes and a local radio station surveyed the bikes and we were called into the Top 3. The crowd's applause determined the actual winner. Our applause was crazy and it wasn't just coming from us moms and dads! Mission Complete. We won the new black Giant bike, a $185 value. I'm not sure all the kids understood it, but Hudson was happy to be riding on it and Ethan and Carter could've cared less. They were all just happy sucking lollipops and riding their rocket bikes in the 100 degree weather. Next year, John has to come up with some amazing design. However, I have a feeling Grandpa or I will be executing it for the group. :)

0 comments:

 
Summer 2009 -now, sit down, I love you, please mommy, thank you, bless you, mine, (you're) welcome, cool dude, stop it, grammie's house, get down ippy (skippy), woah dude, come on, ethan outside, get it, airplane clouds, daddy work, milky, noopy (Snoopy), tv on, do it, uppie (up). Fall 2009 - oh my gosh, daddy-o, naughty, ethan tired, please you're welcome, bon appetite, more please, fruit snacky, cool. Winter 2010 - I'm mad at you, dam, oh darn, I'm the most handsome boy in the world, thank you, come on, cock-a-doodle-doo, delicious, oh goodness sakes. Spring 2010 - think think think, I sure can, of course I can, cool, I need you, I love you, you're welcome, I don't know that, why. Summer 2010 - good idea, there's monsters in there, you're my best friend, it's the coolest ever, oh poop, excuse me, dangit, darnit, oh nuts, now. Winter 2011 - I love you, you're my best friend, you're my girl. Spring 2011 - mommy-o, pain in ass, you're the best mommy ever

blog design by: